News

Wealthier are more tolerant of corruption

03/01/2014

The corruption disadvantages those who can’t accept bribes themselves say six out of ten Czechs. In the research Czechs´ Hopes and Fears 2014, executed by MindBridge Consulting the respondents aged 18 to 60 years agreed on their view of corruption with respect to sex, age and region.

“Some parts of research results did not surprise us, i.e. the prevalence of negative attitudes to corruption. Estimates of annual state budgets evasions are so high that we could fund the presidential elections almost every second day or give 23 thousands crowns to each Czech family. We expected even slightly stronger perception of the following equation: unjustified ineffective public money spending = lower income for the other” says Tomáš Kravka, Managing Partner of MindBridge Consulting a.s.
In annual comparisons the results are quite stable. The perception of corruption and depriving the rest of population is stronger among people 45 years and older. “As if the understanding of ineffective spending consequences grows with age” means Tomáš Kravka.

The convictions of younger generations are not so strict, but quite interesting are attitudes to corruption according to respondent´s e­ducation. More educated people less often connect the corruption with growing the society poorer than people with lower education and household income.

Honest work, corruption and comfortable life
The attitudes to corruption correlate with stands on honest and economic costs to its fulfillment. Only 37 percent of respondents agree that the honest work brings comfortable life. The rest of respondents (63 percent) think that comfortable life have those who don´t work honestly (one third of them agree strongly). The result is clear; the honest is costly and its observance enabling the rest to benefit from illegal and for a short time (hopefully) effective “shortcuts”.

About measuring
Czechs´ hopes and fears 2014 research analyze stances of economically active population. It surveys the opinion trends which affect households’ consumption, population´s at­titudes and political preferences. The research was conducted in august 2013 on the representative sample size of 1500 national population aged 18 to 60 years (region, settlement size, education and income) via CAWI method of data collection.

Jana Hotmarová
MindBridge Consulting a.s.
Geologická 2
152 00 Praha 5
W: www.mindbridge.cz
E: info@mindbridge.cz
T: +420 604 840 604